Thursday, August 13, 2009

Mammoth Caves

We went to Mammoth Caves in Kentucky as an end of the summer outing a couple weekends ago. It was just a day trip but it was quite fun. When we got there we went and got our tickets for our tour and then went on a picnic. While we were eating two deer came right up to us. They were about 6 feet away was all. It was pretty funny because as soon as we saw the first one we also heard the van door close (Hope decided that they were a little to close for her liking).
After our picnic we went and got in line for our tour. We were going to see one of the biggest caves there. The Mammoth Caves are actually the largest cave system in the world...I believe there are around 367 miles of caves that have been explored so far.

The cave was HUGE and really cool. The girls loved it and did such a good job hiking. Mya was such a trooper, it was all up hill to get back and she INSISTED upon walking. She also had to stop at every light and pretend to scan her ticket. Here the family is after the 2 hour tour.

3 comments:

mom/grandmaG said...

I love these kinds of outings and day trips for kids. Mya scanning her ticket really cracked me up. I am sure she had a story going on in her mind about it. Good job to all of you making the hike. Not sure if I could have done it!! :) Well, maybe with Grandpa pushing and Tweeb pulling, I could! Cute pictures of you all!

Brooke said...

Glad you got to go on a little trip. Looked like tons of fun!! That's funny that Hope was in the Van before you knew it with the deer being so close. But I have to say, I am not surprised. :D

Lisa said...

That looks really fun and I bet it's great memories for everybody. I especially liked the van door slamming after the deer got too close!